The Knox box is a component of a Rapid Entry System (RES). An RES is an on-premise security key box which provides firefighters immediate access to locked buildings, storage rooms, elevators, and other secured areas without forced entry in an emergency situation. Time is always a firefighters worst enemy. The ability to gain access rapidly conserves precious time and helps preserve valuable property. Since 1993, the Saginaw Township Fire Department has been registered with the Knox Company to provide the security system which best serves our community.
All commercial occupancies within Saginaw Charter Township are required to install a Knox box at their property. All commercial buildings that employ a Fire Department Connection (FDC) for their automatic sprinkler system are also required to install Knox locking FDC plugs. The FDC plugs help to ensure the security and operability of the sprinkler system in the case of a sprinkler activation.
Additional information may be obtained and Knox products may be ordered at www.knoxbox.com
To order a Knox box or Knox locking FDC plugs online please use the following steps:
- Go to www.knoxbox.com:
- Click on the green circle icon, labeled Products/Place Order; a new page will appear.
- In the Search By Zip box, enter 48603, click the red box; a new page will appear.
- Scroll down the page to Saginaw Charter Twp. Fire Dept., and click the green OK icon; a new page will appear
- If you have three (3) or less keys for your building, click on Knox Box 1650 Residential Series, OR if you have four (4) or more keys for your building, click on Knox Box 3200 Series, OR for Fire Department Connection caps, click on FDC Caps and Plugs.
- Find the product that is needed and click on Add to Cart.
- Fill in the required fields and click on Save Address, if you need to order additional
items click on Save and Add Another (and repeat the above steps for the other items).
- If the order information is correct click on Check Out.
Knox boxes shall be mounted to the building near the front door five feet (5') from the ground. Please have a key available for the Fire Department. When ordering FDC plugs Two (2) 2 ½“ plugs are required.
When the Knox product is delivered, please contact the Fire Department at 989-792-9691 to lock the Knox box and or install FDC plugs. Please contact our office if you have any questions concerning this process. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.