Interested In Becoming A Saginaw Township Firefighter?
An on-call firefighter under the direction of the Fire Chief is trained to control and extinguish fires and protect life and property.
This process may take four to six weeks. If you have any questions about any of the hiring process steps, please contact Fire Headquarters.
- You must complete an application form at Headquarters; 4930 Shattuck Road. This includes providing a copy of your driver's license and proof of automobile insurance and your signature on a background record check permission form.
- You must complete, and pass, an aptitude/intelligence pre-employment test at Headquarters.
- A background check is conducted for criminal record, driving record, and personal history. No felony convictions and no more than four (4) points on your driving record are permitted.
- If minimum criteria is met for items listed above, an interview with the station officers is held. A recommendation is submitted to the Fire Chief by the station officers.
- Reference checks may be conducted.
- A final interview with the Fire Chief is held. If still interested in the department, a conditional offer of employment as a paid-call firefighter is made.
- An agility and physical examination is administered, which you must pass.
- Upon receipt of medical examination results, you will be contacted. If approved, an appointment to complete required paperwork and orientation process will be scheduled..
- Training begins.
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of an on-call firefighter as required by the Township and as determined by the designated medical examiner. Must be able to pass physical agility tests when administered and as required. Must be insurable under the guidelines established by the Township's liability insurance carriers.
- Must possess and/or be able to acquire firefighter certification as mandated by the State of Michigan Fire Fighters Training Council.
- Must have and maintain a good driving record. A valid Michigan driver's license is required for initial employment and must be maintained while an employee.
- Must be at least 18 years of age. Must reside within or at a location not exceeding one mile outside of the Township boundaries. The fire fighter will be assigned to the district in which he/she resides or to the district which, at the discretion of the Fire Chief, is most advantageous for the Township and the fire department.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED and be able to speak, read, write, understand and comprehend English for the purpose of performing the multiple communication functions of the job duties and responsibilities, and for the purposes of completing and/or following and/or applying all directives, manuals, logs, reports, and other communications pertaining to employment.