The Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission will again be conducting household scrap tire collection beginning May 1st and running through August 30th of this year. Scrap tires are ideal mosquito breeding habitat for both nuisance and disease carrying mosquitoes. SCMAC’s scrap tire program is part of SCMAC's Source Reduction effort, and annually results in thousands of tires being collected from Saginaw County property owners and communities. All collected tires are transported to First Class Tire Shredders Inc. in Clio where they are shredded and used in various capacities. This effort is funded in part through the DEQ’s Scrap Tire Cleanup Program.
The program is open to all Saginaw County property owners at no cost. All tire drop-offs must meet the following criteria:
1. Saginaw County residents only (Must have a valid Michigan I.D. or Driver’s License)
2. Tires are limited to household tires, car, pickup truck, motorcycle, bike, and other small tires
3. Tires must be off the rim
4. Residents limited to 10 tires per address, per year
5. Oversized tires are NOT accepted (semi, tractor, or heavy equipment)
6. SCMAC does NOT accept tires from businesses or other revenue generating enterprises such as agriculture and contracting operations
There are two opportunities for residents to recycle their tires. They can either drop tires off at our office (211 Congress Avenue, City of Saginaw) or drop tires off during one of our two week-long tire drives.
Details are as follows:
Drop off at SCMAC
• Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm
• Must stop in the front office for approval and tire count
County-wide Scrap Tire Drives
• Scheduled for June 17th - 21st and July 15th - 19th
• Collection site locations will be released late May
Further details and information in regards to our June and July tire drives will be available at: www.scmac.org or contact SCMAC at (989) 755-5751.